Simplicity is Happiness


Never have I finally discovered something so profound for myself as this: simpliciy is happiness. The world tells us different. The world tells us that happiness is more money and stuff and possessions and riches and wealth and a bigger house and a better car and more expensive clothes and name brand purses and top-of-the-line education and diamond watches and drawers of pearls and the best phones and newest technology and what not. I have always been aware that money doesnt bring happiness necessarily, but what I never realized is how it actually brings sadness in many ways, even if you don't love it.
Since we have been here, we have lived the life. We have a nice house, nice cars, top-notch schooling, and dad has got a great job that keeps him home more often. Yet, somehow, when accessories are added into our lives it brings sadness. When I come home from school, usually very sad and frustrated about the day, I go straight to my Lolo. I know in my heart that I have nothing to be sad about - I have a wonderful life materialistically! - but I can't help it! So I go talk to Lolo Fort and every day - every single day - he gives me a reality check. He, not being the wealthiest of people, has more joy than anybody I have ever known. He is always smiling and joyful with a genuine, from-the-heart happiness because he has a family, food, a job, shelter, and only one life to live. He takes what he has and loves his simplicity! He is so proud of being a simple person, and frankly, I would trade places with him any day! To be able to give up all these accessories and all this crap that I don't need and be able to genuinely enjoy life and its bare necessities. It is so true that when you start getting stuff, even if you don't love money, you become attatched. Now, after living for six months with just one suitcase and my guitar, I am back in a house with all of my stuff from the states. At first I was distraught at having so much stuff again, but now I'm attatched. It's true. Money doesnt just not bring happiness; it can make you miserable. The happiest people in the world I know are the ones who have nothing. We have got it so wrong in the American dream; don't they know? Simplicity is truly true happiness.

5 comments:

Nathan Peacock said...

I agree. I would say that happiness is not so much a state of mind, but more of a point of view; to look at a situation and see the good in it, or the good in the outcome rather than the bad and ugly. but then again that's prolly the fine line between happiness and joy.

Tiki Sanchez said...

Interesting observation. Scripture talks about where your treasure is there also is your heart. I guess if your treasure is stuff then you are set up for the fall from the begining since it's just stuff. I think happiness is found in the relationships we make and build. God created us to be in community with each other. When we do that it feels right.

Unknown said...

Ahh Morgo, so I talked to your grandparents this morning at church cause you were on my mind. Love your blogspot :). PS....IM GETTING MARRIED IN AUGUST....and I know youll be back in June...soooo go ahead and clear August 8th for your calendar Brian and I are getting married in St. Augustine so I hope Ill get to see you there. Shoot me an email crystalkmoreno@gmail.com....i miss you like crazy :)!!!

Roger/Carol said...

Papa S said
Remeber my motto now is
"Less Is Best"
When we are free of wanting things we become free indeed. With less we find ourselves free from the care, cleaning, maintenance and the issue of where to put it. Then we can spend more time on making better relatioships and in growing closer to the lord and spend more time to serving Him.

Anonymous said...

This is so very true, yet too often worldly things consume life as we now it. This post reminded me of truths that I should be living by. Thanks for that! I'm prayin for you chicka! Have a blessed week. :D

You're Friend,
Kayla Sprague