Sacrifice. What comes to mind when you first hear that word? I don't know about you, but it usually brings a negative picture to mind. Nobody really wants to sacrifice. Or maybe you see something else. Maybe you picture Jesus,the ultimate sacrifice. Whatever you think about the word "sacrifice," I think we can all agree that insisting upon personal sacrifice brings an even more negative picture. Actually, it's absurd! Who would insist on personal sacrifice? Well, I have learned something profound that has changed the picture I had for that.
We pulled up to our favorite Italian restaurant, C's, and mom ran in to order some exquisite pizza to go. When she got back in the car she told Fort that it wouldnt be ready for 15 minutes and that he and Nester could go get some food wherever they wanted. (Remember that due to their servant's heart, they don't even eat without us telling them.) We buckled up and were ready to go when we realized that Fort was parking at C's. "Wait! No, no, no." We said, "Go get some food for you." But time and time again they insisted upon us getting our food and them eating later when we got home around 7 pm. Finally, we talked /ordered them into getting some food, but they refused to eat until after we had our food. Fort insisted upon waiting for us, despite our pleas that he eat before he had to continue driving.
Similarly, yesterday I wanted some rice but mom had forgot to buy some. When Fort heard, he started leading me to his kitchen. "Come," he said, "we have rice." I stopped him, "No way, Lolo! That rice is for you and Nester." He shook his head in shcok. "NO! This is for US. You, me, and Nester." I stopped and shook my head right back. "No, Fort. There is not enough for all of us. It's for you and Nester" But he still insisted. We continued for about 2 minutes while Fort became almost offended that I wouldn't take any, until I said I wanted Ramen noodles instead. Now, there is a moral to both of these stories.
These are just two simple examples of Fort and Nester's servant's hearts. Between Lolo (grandpa) Fort and Kuya (big-brother) Nester, I have learned so much!They both, daily, insist on things that inconvenience them in order to put me and my desires first. In fact, I don't think that they even see it as an inconvenience - they do it so happily and so genuinely. They not only sacrifice sleep, food, and comfort when needed - they insist upon making the sacrifice when it is not needed, when we do not call for it, and when we insist upon their comfort. They set aside food, sleep, family, etc. and lay their full and whole-hearted service at our feet. They persist to insist on sacrifice. What a lesson to learn.

0 comments:
Post a Comment